Guam - In less than two (2) days, Guam will take part in the largest earthquake drill in history. Island residents will join close to 8 million other Shakeout participants from California, Idaho, Nevada and British Columbia by practicing the earthquake safety procedure to “DROP, COVER, and HOLD ON”.
Guam Homeland Security/Office of Civil Defense (GHS/OCD) is encouraging all residents to increase earthquake preparedness and response by practicing how to protect themselves during an earthquake and how to take the necessary steps to ensure an earthquake disaster doesn’t become a catastrophe.
To participate in The Great Guam Shakeout:
- Register online at www.shakeout.org/guam or call 475-9600
- Plan your drill- DROP to the ground, Take COVER under sturdy furniture, and HOLD ON to the furniture until the one (1) minute drill is over.
- Get prepared for earthquakes – make a disaster plan
- Share the ShakeOut – encourage your family, friends and co-workers to join
- Tune in to local AM/FM radio stations for a live drill broadcast
- Take photos of your employees during the drill and post on The Great Guam Shakeout website.