Guam News - Guam News
Guam – Marcial A. Sablan Elementary School Principal Agnes Camacho suspects that it was the breakfast served Thursday morning that caused the apparent food poisoning outbreak, a breakfast of egg salad and melon, prepared by DOE food provider, Kings.
Dim lights Embed Embed this video on your site
She told PNC News: "At around 9:45 several students came into the office complaining about stomach aches and they were vomiting and then another 15 minutes several more came in and we said that's a high number right so we started documenting their vomiting and stomach aches and then another fifteen minutes they were just coming in students were coming in we had a total of 102 students who were registered with the vomiting,” said Camacho
Emergency personnel were dispatched to this school as well as Southern high school, Harry S. Truman, Oceanview and J.P. Torres where schoolchildren were placed on several school buses to be transported via police escort to the hospital.
It was a chaotic scene at these southern schools where school nurses, principals and staff members were frantically working to get a grasp on the situation. Anxious parents flooded the schools with phone calls while others came in person to find out if their children had been sent to the hospital.
At Marcial Sablan elementary school hallways were lined with vomit, "It's just very scary the hallways here this wall this wall behind and both sides were filled with students sitting and then in the nurses office also... and each of them had trash bags and they were all vomiting,” said Camacho.
The principal also tells PNC that with the number of students affected they suspected breakfast to be the cause. "We called public health to check if it's the breakfast we had the sample set aside we took some samples of the vomits and stored it until they came,” she explained.
According to Camacho students were fed egg salad sandwiches and some sort of melon or cantaloupe for breakfast.
|< Prev||Next >|