Guam News - Guam News
Monday, GPD identified the victim as 22 year old Curtis Jay Santos of Santa Rita. His death marks the 11th traffic fatality of 2013.
Police Spokesman A.J. Balajadia reports that the accident happened by the Fisheye Park. It was called into Police just before 1am Sunday.
He says a dark blue Toyota Scion being driven by a 19-year old woman was in the inner northbound lane when a man driving a silver Toyota Corolla, passed her in the northbound outer lane. The Corolla then executed a u-turn "causing the Scion to collide with the Corolla," says the release from Officer Balajadia.
The woman driving the Scion was the only occupant of that vehicle. There were 5 people in the Corolla. All 6 people involved in the accident were "alert and responsive" at the scene.
1 refused treatment and the 5 others were transported to GMH where "one of the passengers who was in the Toyota Corolla was pronounced dead at 4:10am."
Officer Balajadia's release does not indicate the sex of the victim, but he responded to a text saying the deceased was a "male." He did not have the age of the victim.GMH Nursing Supervisor Cely Mongrobang declined to release any details because of what she said were new guideline restricting the release of any patient information. She referred us to a Guam Police Department number which no one answered.
2013 Traffic Related Fatalities:
1. January 1: 3:41am, Tuesday, Auto Pole crash, Rt. 9 Chalan Ramierez, Yigo. First traffic fatality on New Year’s day. 31-year-old Fred Maioro lost
control of his car along Route 9 at Chalan Ramirez St. in Yigo, and ran off the road, and slammed into a concrete pole.
2. January 16: 11:30pm. 45 year old Edward Joseph Kestler, was struck by an SUV in Tamuning Marine Corps Drive, near Alupang Towers in
Tamuning. He was pronounced dead at 12:10am at GMH. by a car late Wednesday night in Tamuning. Police say the victim was apparently walking in the road when he was struck by a black Hyundai Tucson being driven by a man heading south on Route 1. The driver of the Hyundai was not arrested.
[February 12: 10:20 pm, 51 Year Old Hitoshi Yakota struck by a grey 2007 Toyota Yaris while walking with his wife [also injured] on the side walk along San Vitores Road in Tumon. Yakota died from his injuries on Thursday February 14 at GMH. 21 year old Tamuning resident Chad De Soto charged with murder in Yakota's death. Guam Police Spokesman A.J. Balajadia says this is NOT being classifed as a traffic related fatality.]
3. February 17: 1:42 am. 27 year old Andre Dela Cruz died after losing control of his Harley Davidson Motorcycle motorcycle and crashed on Alageta Road near the Route 16 overpass. DOA at the scene.
4. February 21: 10:48am. Troy Morrison riding a 2004 Suzuki 1000 south on Route 4 near the Agat Transfer Station when he lost control and ran off the roadway, crashing into a concrete sewer ditch. Pronounced dead at Naval Hospital. GFD Lt. Ed Artero said CPR was performed on the injured man as he was rushed to Naval Hospital. Morrison was not wearing a helmet.
5. March 9: 1 am Yseng Song at Natibu Road in Dededo. Hit-and-run auto pedestrian. 30 year old male pedestrian struck and killed. Suspect vehicle described only as a sedan that fled the scene with possible windshield damage.
6. April 3: 1 year old boy dies after vehicle backs over him in Dededo driveway. A 38 year old man was operating a 2009 Toyota Rav4 and backed over the boy. No identities and no names have been released yet.
7. April 12: 2:20am, Rt.1 East Agana, by the former Sears. Auto ran off Roadway. Passenger m/Phon/20's
8. July 3: 9:24pm, Anigua, 23 year old woman struck by a car on Route 1 at the 76 gas station.Victim identified as Reren Rimuo.
9. July 26: 5:45am 1 Yigo. 22 year old man dies after his car plows into a concrete power pole. Nobor Wachi Tell was driving a Toyota Corolla north on Route 1 at Shen's Furniture when he struck the rear of a Toyota Paseo and then veered off the roadway striking the power pole.
10. August 13: Tuesday 9:06pm Yigo. Route 1 in Yigo. 40 year old James Paul Aguero, riding a moped, collided with 2004 Toyota Camry that was attempting a left turn onto Jose Galo Street in Yigo near Yigo Payless.
11. August 25: Sunday, 1:58 am. Northbound Marine Corps Drive in Piti. GPD identified the victim as 22 year old Curtis Jay Santos of Santa Rita. He died following a 2 car collision. 4 others injured. A dark blue Toyota Scion being driven by a 19-year old woman was in the inner northbound lane when a man driving a silver Toyota Corolla, passed her in the northbound outer lane. The Corolla then executed a u-turn causing the Scion to collide with the Corolla. The woman driving the Scion was the only occupant of that vehicle. There were 5 people in the Corolla. All 6 people involved in the accident were "alert and responsive" at the scene. 1 refused treatment and the 5 other were transported to GMH where one of the passengers who was in the Toyota Corolla was pronounced dead at 4:10am.
READ the release from GPD below:
GUAM POLICE DEPARTMENT NEWS
PITI; Sunday, August 25, 2013, 12:58am Police dispatcher reported a traffic crash on Rt.1 by Fisheye park, Piti.
A dark blue colored Toyota Scion operated by a 19-year-old female was traveling on Marine Corps Drive by Fisheye Park northbound inner lane, when the male operator of a silver colored Toyota Corolla who was also traveling northbound outer lane, passed the Scion and executed a U-turn, causing the Scion to collide with Corolla.
The Scion had one lone occupant, the driver; the Corolla had 5 occupants to include the operator.
While at the scene all parties involved in the auto crash were alert and responsive, 6 non-fatal, 5 transported to GMH and 1 refused treatment.
One of the passengers who was in the Toyota Corolla was pronounced dead at 4:10 A.M. 8/25/13.
Guam Highway Patrol is investigating the 11th Traffic related fatality of 2013.
A J. Balajadia
Guam Police Department Spokesperson
|< Prev||Next >|